Being happy doesnt mean that everything is perfect.

It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections...

Thursday, October 13, 2011

A night at our local Rotary

Last night Luke, Ellie and I had the pleasure of being invited as 'guest speakers' at our local Rotary. I was so excited about this... !!

Excited about making more people aware of Wolf Hirschhorn Syndrome (WHS)
Excited about making more people aware of 4P Aussie Kidz
Definately not excited about doing my talk..

I was told I had 3o mins.. Are you serious?? 30 minutes. I was worried I couldnt even fill 10 minutes.

A few days earlier, I had a phone conversation with a lovely lady from Rotary, asking me what I was going to talk about. I said, I was going to talk about Ellies condition and our charity 4P Aussie Kidz... She said great, but maybe it would be good to talk about your pregnancy, Ellie being born, how you felt when she was born, her diagnosis, her first year etc etc etc...

Easy enough said, and it looked easy enough on paper..

I know Ellie, I know WHS, I know our life... so that part was easy to talk about. I went really well up until the point where I re-lived Ellies first 1.5 hour long seizure....

I lost my breath...I froze... I felt the tears welling in my eyes... It brought back all those feelings, thoughts, and fears...

After a moment, I collected myself, and continued... and I continued on and on.. I actually think I did end up talking for 30 minutes.

I was so happy with how it went. The message we got across was about informing people about Ellie, her condition and 4P Aussie Kidz... and even though our life is sometimes hard, and yes the first year is a bit of a blur... we are thankful for Ellie, thankful for her determination, thankful for her headstrong attitude, thankful for her humour, but overall we are thankful for the joy that she brings our lives...

Everyone at Rotary was very interested in the information that we provided, and were won over by Ellie...

We are very Thankfull to Dingley Rotary for their time.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Mel, I did wonder if you may get teary talking about your gorgeous girl.

    I think you should be very proud of yourself and all you do for ALL children with WHS.

    Don't normally swear on these but have to say "Your bloody awesome!"

    Thinking of you and so glad the night went well and of course Ellie won them all over, how could she not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, you should be very proud of yourself for getting the word out and all of the wonderful things you do for Ellie and WHS. I am so glad the meeting went so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Mel!!! I am so happy that everything is going so so well!! Looking forward to seeing you all in a week and winning that slide LOL!!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete