Being happy doesnt mean that everything is perfect.

It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections...

Saturday, August 14, 2010

We are Ellies voice.... we speak loudly

What amazes me by having a child with a disability, is the way in which you have to stand up for, advocate for and push for what your child not only requires but deserves.

Most of you may know that I have been out to the Cerebal Palsy Education Centre (CPEC) to check out the programs that they run, which is called conductive education. I was thoroughly impressed with their services and thought Ellie would benefit greatly from attending their program. However up until earlier this week the Department of Education and Early Childhood Intervention (DEEC(would not put Ellies name on the waiting list for CPEC's programs because of where we live.

Throughout end of last week and early this week, I spoke with the DEEC many times and explained in a very firm but nice manner that I would not let up until Ellies name was on that waiting list. I said I would go to a current affairs program to make them aware of what they were doing and I also contacted my local state member for parliment.

Yesterday I received a phone call from a manager at the DEEC to advise that they have now changed their rules and processes and will now accept all children to be on the waiting list for CPEC, and not just kids from a particular region of Melbourne...

WOO HOO... I was so happy!!!

This has made me realise that Luke and I are Ellies voice, we are the ones that need to stand up for what she requires and deserves and if this means that the government needs to be challenged and their processes needs to be reveiwed along the way.... so be it.!!!

8 comments:

  1. Good job fighting for Ellie! I'm very glad that things ended the way that you wanted them to, the way that is best for Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing job!! Ellie is so lucky to have you for her mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Melissa, Ellie is so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work!

    I cant believe you managed to get services thru a CP service, thats great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go YOU! That is so awesome to hear. Ellie is a veyr lucky girl xxooo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go, Mel! So glad to hear that things worked out and so proud that you would not take No for an answer. We had a very similar issue with our early intervention program this month. Eventually, they realized that I would not stop pursuing what Norrah needed until I got it.

    But, what is sad is all those kids in Australia or the US or anywhere whose parents do not fight. Because it seems like the early intervention system only does the bare minimum or what they are used to doing and forgets about being an advocate for children and helping them to excel.

    I KNOW YOU MADE A DIFFERENCE IN MORE THAN JUST ELLIE's LIFE BY WHAT YOU DID! WAY TO GO!

    ReplyDelete