Being happy doesnt mean that everything is perfect.

It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections...

Friday, December 10, 2010

Ellies plan for next year...

Some of you may remember a post I did back in August, (click here for that post) about a particular program that I wanted to get Ellie into, at the Cerebal Palsy Education Centre (CPEC). But her name could not go on the waiting list because of where we live, as they only take kids from the eastern region.

CPEC is a one of a kind in Victoria, this program is not offered any where else. I truly believed that Ellie would benefit greatly from this program, and didnt find it fair that kids with disabilities miss out on something so unique because of where they live.... so I took this battle on, and in the end she got her name on the waiting list, and Ellie wasnt the exception, they changed the rules and accept kids from all regions now.

Last week we receied a letter of offer for 2011. Thats right Ellie has got a spot at CPEC, starting in term 1. So every Monday and Wednesday from 9:30am - 12:30pm Ellie will attend the program with me. This is a family centred program, where I participate with Ellie. I am stoked about this as I have heard so many stories from other families and also in the media about the great work that CPEC can acheive with children.

The other good news is that Ellie has also received a place, starting term 2 at Bayside Special Development school in their Early Education Program.
This will be every Tuesday and Thursday from 9am - 2:30pm, this is a program for kids with special needs and focuses on development of communication, social and cognitive skills, and gross and fine motor skills in a play based environment. Bayside SDS has its own therapists such as Physio, OT, speech & sensory on hand to provide support to the groups.

I am unbelievably excited about what 2011 holds for Ellie, I am looking forward to Ellie attending both these programs as I think it will be massive for her development, I am excited to see how she will develop, it will also give Ellie more of a chance to interact with other children.

What this also means is that I will start to get a bit more of a break.... as I will have 2 days to myself at home without Ellie

Am I looking forward to this.... Yes...

BUT.... I am also nervous & scared and will probably be a blubbering mess in Term 2 when I drop Ellie off for her first full day at Bayside SDS. You see I have never left Ellie in childcare or occasional care etc.. I have only left Ellie with a handfull of people.... family and council carers.

I know she will be fine.... I know I will be fine.... I know that she will be taken care off and most of all.... I know that this is the best thing for her.

I may just need some kleenex next year.

9 comments:

  1. fantastic news Mel...we have been picked up for early intervention with Uncle Bob's so we are looking forward to that next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mel, how exciting! I am so glad to hear that she got into those programs. I am sure she will benefit from them greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was certainly news worth waiting for. How exciting is that!
    And don't worry about the tears. There will be tears shed in the Apple Isle as well! Yours might b e of apprehension, but ours will be of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great!

    I can defintely relate to your anxiety about leaving her with people that haven't looked after her before. I have had to do this all year with preschool and it hasnt been easy but I can see the positives for sure as you will. Primary school in 2011 for us...well not so sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for ellie... she definitely will enjoy that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so wonderful! I'm sure Ellie will benefit immensely from those programs and from the interaction with other children.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's is so exciting!! It's awesome that you got the rules changed for not only Ellie but other kids as well. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic news Mel! So excited for you guys!! I know you will be a blubbering mess, but Ellie will love making new friends and she will have so much fun. It is a huge step to take, but it will almost be like another milestone for her!!

    PS. I still get teary some days as Ryley leaves on the school bus, or Braeden waves to me at the window at daycare. So expect many teary days LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete