Being happy doesnt mean that everything is perfect.

It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections...

Friday, May 14, 2010

Never a dull moment....

Yesterday morning when I was changing Ellies nappy I noticed a very prominent red rash on her legs outside her nappy, they marks then appeared under her arm and on her wrists. I checked her temp, and she didnt have one, so wasnt massively concerned but thought I should get her checked out anyway. Within minutes after me making a doctors appointment Ellie started vomitting.... Right ..... Off to the doctors we went.

We have a fantastic GP, but after she checked Ellie, she advised she didnt know what the spots where from.... and as Ellie vomited again she wanted us to go to hospital for Ellie to be observed. This is not how I had planned my day... (Remember we have Lukes family down visiting at the moment)

So.... after Ellie being observed at hospital for a few hours and she hadnt vomited again, they advised that the rash was a alergic reaction to something and they would give her a anti nausea tablet and a antihistamine. They were about to send us home.... UNTIL.... Ellie decided to start vomiting again.... 3 TIMES. The doctor decided to do collect urine plus put a nasal gastic tube in to get some clear fluids into her. For those that have a girl and have tried to collect urine in those bags in a nappy.... you will agree that this is no easy task. After we realised that the urine went everywhere but the collection bag, we decided to do a catheter to collect the urine.

Test results came back that Ellies white cell count in her urine was extremelly high, in otherwides a unrinary tract infection. We were advised that this can also make them vomit. Ellie was then given clear fluids through her NG tube, which she managed to keep down. After a few hours we tried her on very small frequents sips of milk through her cup.... This she also managed to keep down.  As she managed to keep this down they decided to send us home with strong oral antibitoics, and by this stage Ellies rash had started to disapear.

However we have to go back tomorrow for them to review Ellie and see how she is going. They also want a kidney ultrasound done, this will be done on Monday

This morning she was happy, ate breakfast, had a small drink of milk and hasnt been sick... However the rash has reapeared, but looks slightly different. Will have to get them to check this tomorrow.

So after all that.... that was not how I had planned my day, But Miss Ellie does like to keep us on our toes, doesnt she...



9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that Ellie seems to be doing better. Hopefully the antibiotic will work well and fix her all up.

    The rash looks like hives to me. Gracie got them when she had reactions to some medications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about collecting urine from a girl, it is no easy task!

    Rash looks nasty, hope they can shed some more light on it.

    Hope the kidney ultrasound is all okay.

    Thinking of you all
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Ellie! That rash doesn't look like your normal viral rash does it?

    Hope she is feeling better soon and we are thinking of you all xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your commnets... at first it looked like chicken pox, then it was quite a raised bright red rash, now its sort of rings..... I reckon we wont find out what caused it.... I just want to get rid of it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm so sorry! Poor little girl! Hope she gets feeling better soon and that everything checks out okay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry that Ellie isn't feeling well. We can never take a day with no events for granted. I hope Ellie heals fast and things are better over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, poor baby! I hope the UTI and rash go away---quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww poor baby girl, glad she is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Ellie, I am sorry she is not feeling well. I hope she gets better soon, I am thinking about you guys.

    ReplyDelete