Being happy doesnt mean that everything is perfect.

It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections...

Thursday, July 7, 2011

One step closer to Ellies new (3rd) glass eye

Yesterday, Ellie had to be at the Royal Children's Hospital for a minor procedure under GA.
I had to have her there at 12pm, which meant she was fasting since 7am. She didn't go in for her procedure till about 2.30pm.. so considering all this she could have easily been quite grumpy...

Nope she wasn't. she was a little trooper...!!

Whilst under GA they had a bit of a look at her right eye socket to see how it was healing after they inserted the orbital implant 5 weeks ago. All was good, healed and not infected.

The man who makes Ellie glass eye (Ocularist) was also there, his role was to take a mould of Ellie's right eye socket. As the space and shape inside her socket would have changed since the implant was put in. From this mould, he then creates Ellie's new glass eye.

I am really looking forward to Ellie getting it. Not that it bothers me, her without her glass eye, but after 4 weeks of her having no glass eye in, you kinda get sick of the 'looks' 'stares' etc... I know this really used to infuriate me, But I am sort of getting better with people looking at Ellie....

On a different note, Ellie's condition of her being born without her right eye is called Anophthalmia. True anophthalmia is said to occur in 1 in 100,00 births. Yep... Very bloody rare..!!! So would you believe that yesterday whilst at The RCH, there were 2 other beautiful kiddies with Anophthalmia. I was so surprised, but a nice surprise... I had a brief chat with both the mums, which was really nice, and would you believe one of them lives not far at all from us.

Today were off to see Ellie's occularist, to complete the next step in getting her next glass eye...

I am excited....!!

However what made me laugh yesterday was how they had to draw a arrow on her head
pointing to her right eye, to make sure they did the correct eye....



3 comments:

  1. I was going to post in your paparazzi post, but missed it. First - awesome pictures. She is so cute. Second - I love the arrow. As if they may mess it up. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that you met other moms!!

    Way to go Ellie for being such a trooper!! Ellie, you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How bizarre to draw arrow on her head for that reason!

    You will have to teach me some of your patience in people staring, after nearly 6 years I am still over it and get really annoyed.

    Glad to hear Ellie was such a good girl with fasting. How nice for you to meet some other families of children with Anophthalmia (someone who understands)

    ReplyDelete