Being happy doesnt mean that everything is perfect.

It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections...

Monday, July 18, 2011

Celebrating new tricks

Ellie has blown us away recently...

About 10 weeks ago, Ellie was practising sitting with leg wraps on and supported cushions around her. On this day, I decided to move these cusions away... and yes she proceeded to sit

(Keep in mind that before this date... Sitting was one of the things that Ellie hated doing the most)

Then about 4 weeks ago, Ellie started trying to go from lying down to sitting by herself. This she found quite hard, but as long as we held her legs down and supported them, she would sit up.

The last 2 weeks she has realized that if she tucks her toes under something stable, like a couch, mat, or tv cabinet, this will stabilize her enough so that she can sit up by herself.

Then.... 5 days ago, I caught Ellie sitting by herslf but had no idea how she got there.. There was nothing around for her to catch her feet on. I could not believe I had missed out on seeing this

But.. I didnt need to wait long to actually see it for myself. As now Ellie is doing it non stop. She will be lying on the ground, and then gets herself to sitting, all by herself. She then proceeds to do a full 360' turn/bum shuffle whilst sitting.

She has learnt all this in about 10 weeks...

This is the quickest Ellie has ever 'got something'

Whilst we have been helping her, she has done alot of this herself... you could actually see over the last 10 weeks, Ellie thinking, concentrating and working out what to do... what was her next step.

As I said at the start of this post. She has blown us away...

I keep getting her to lie down, just so, for my own pleasure, I can watch her new trick over and over and over again.

Having a child with a disability, you learn not to take any of these milestones for granted...

You celebrate them... and celebrating them we are...!!!

2 comments:

  1. Massive achievement Miss Ellie! So proud of you! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celebrate Celebrate Celebrate! Great job Ellie! I love that you keep getting her to lie down so you can watch her sit up! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete