Being happy doesnt mean that everything is perfect.

It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections...

Friday, April 30, 2010

Paediatrician appointment update

Today I had an appointment with Ellies paediatrician.. Basically I wanted to discuss Ellies blood test results from 4 weeks ago which showed she had problems with her thyroid. As I wanted to know if this was the possible cause of Ellies weight loss or lack of weigh gain.

Here is my explanation of her blood test results, (I hope I dont confuse you)

In short everyone has a pituitary gland. The pituitary gland secrets hormones, one of which is thyroid-stimulating hormone. Thyroid stimulating hormone promotes growth of the thyroid gland and stimulates it to produce more hormones.

Ellies blood test showed that her pituitary gland is producing high levels of thyroid stimulating hormone. A high level of TSH often means an underactive thyroid gland that is not responding adequately to the stimulation of TSH due to some type of thyroid disfunction.

This is not the way that I interpreted the results 4 weeks ago. I assumed that Ellies high levels meant a over-active thyroid, which in turn can cause weight loss. I was wrong... it could mean an underactive thyroid.

Today we had another blood test, to see if there are any changes.

Basically, in short... If Ellies pituitary gland keeps producing high levels of TSH she will need to be on medication to regulate this, and she would be on the medicine for life.

On a positive note Ellie and I had a great day out today, considering we were out for appointments for most of the day.. she is so happy at the moment, smiles, laughs, is cheeky... she is just beautiful....
But then again we might be biased   : )

9 comments:

  1. sorry to hear another condition to manage, thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get better results with this next test. This exact problem actually runs in my family. Most of my family is on medication for life and some have had their thyroid removed. It is a pain to be on meds, but the good thing is it is a very manageable condition with medication. I hope things turn out okay. Ellie is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you are biased... she really is a beauty!!! AND - I am praying that these next set of results come back normal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. she'll be fine Mel... we'll pray for her and for u too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you had a fun day out! Sorry about the thyroid issues-- Caleb is on Thyroid Meds, let me know if you have any ?'s! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great Mel! She obviously gets her good behaviour from you when she's out...not someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you too...I hope the next results are better. But I love your attitude....enjoy the moment and your gorgeous little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi April, will definatley have questions for you if they choose to put Ellie on thyroid medications. Have they helped Caleb? Chat soon x

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is beautiful. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the results will be normal the next test.

    ReplyDelete