Being happy doesnt mean that everything is perfect.

It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections...

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Time to celebrate the good things




If I was to be honest, I would say the last year has been tough for us. The last 4 months of 2009 was the hardest, with the onset of Ellie seizures, in and out of hospital and in many more times, medication playing havoc with Ellies demeanour, sickness... the list goes on. Those 4 months we found really hard, Ellie seemed to forget many things that she could do before the seizures, and she really took 10 steps back with her strength. I felt really disheartened, felt like all the work and therapy we had done with her was all out the window & one thing that was really bothering me was that Ellie was not weight bearing in her legs or even wanting to sit.

There have been many days where I thought "no Ellie is not going to sit" I couldnt see it possible, but it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel, and I am sort of feeling like all the hard work we are putting in is paying off... I know this is only something small, and there will always be something to work at like pull to stand, standing, walking etc... but for somen reason the idea of Ellie not being able to sit bothered me more than not doing the others... Dont ask me why, they just did....

There have been times where I have wanted to give up on therapy, and I did at the end of last year, Ellie wasnt enjoying and I wasnt enjoying it. I am so glad I changed my outlook and am enjoying it again, because the benefits are paying of with Ellie.... Today I sat her in her boppy pillow, (keep in mind any other time I have done this she SCREAMS???) Today no screams, just a look of pure concentration on her face and then sheer JOY as if to say "Look at me I can do this sitting thing" By no means is Ellie sitting independantly yet, but I dont think it will be too far off...

Celebrations will soon be happening in our house!!



9 comments:

  1. It is very disheartning after all the therapies we put our kids thru to see them regress.

    She looks very happy with herself in those pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks very confident with this sitting things. Don't give up mom! Ellie:I can do it! Have trust in Ellie and in yourself Mel...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still go through waves of feeling like all the hard work is for nothing. But then Ryley achieves what I have been working on with him and it just makes me feel like anything is possible!!

    Ellie looks fantastic sitting up! Whatever you do NEVER GIVE UP!! There will always be times when you and Ellie will need time out, but you will find as time goes on, therapy type stuff will just be part of your life. It won't feel like you are scheduling it!

    You guys are awesome xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look on Ellie's face in the second picture. What a doll! So happy that she is sitting up and excited to see what other milestones 2010 brings. GO ELLIE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellie is going to prove so many things to you during her life, like I will do it when I am good and ready and not a day sooner. So glad she is sitting, she looks so grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for Ellie! Kaylee is too young yet to see where therapy will take her, but I know I felt the same way with Amanda. They don't forget-- they just take a short respite sometimes and don't realize how stressed out it makes us, the parents. It can be frustrating, but know that the therapy is worth it, and before you know it, Ellie will be hitting the next milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's definately cause for a celebration! WOW! Sitting up is a wonderful accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry it's been such a roller coaster, but I'm glad you enjoy the silver lining! This really is a huge accomplishment.... she looks so proud of herself! I think she likes the independence.... what a cutie!

    Let me know if you'd like to share her story on kidz. If not, no biggie. Looking forward to getting to know you better :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go Ellie!!! She looks so big sitting up, what a great accomplishment.+

    ReplyDelete